Christophe --

Regarding:

>Social institutions clearly have final causes (a long and complex list..)
but associating agency and teleology to elementary particles may be
problematic as it introduces final causes in a material universe. This
looks close to an "intelligent design" option that we prefer to avoid.

Final cause (teleology) is an issue separate from agency. I believe that in
the context of the Big Bang theory, and given the constitutive low energy
efficiency of all work, the Second Law of thermodynamics can be viewed as a
final cause of all energy usage whatever.

STAN