Thank you for your fast reply, Mait!

Am 02.01.2014 19:21, schrieb Mait - matte...@gmail.com:
> - Do not use fish as login shell for remote host. Run from .bashrc
> when interactive mode.

If this works, this could be a quick'n'dirty workaround for my personal
needs, though this requires an additional sh instance for every
interactive login :-/

> - You could run those program via wrapping `sh -c` or `bash -c`

The programs do start the remote session.
So I'm not able to control their SSH connection.

Besides that,  I wondered if wrapping is still POSIX compliant/
compatible so maintainers are willing to accept an according patch.

Because this requires to assume there _is_ i.e. a 'sh' installed and
that it's located at a specific location and/or in the path.

Anybody aware of a common best practice here?