Hi Alan,

Glad to hear you like fish :)

The ⏎ character is meant to be visible when the output of the last run program
did not have a trailing newline, and so fish had to insert one. Since fish
can’t actually see that output, it has to accomplish this by printing the
marker, then a bunch of spaces, then a \r to go back to the beginning of the
line, then one more space. If this occurred when the cursor was at the
beginning of the line, it will end up where it started; otherwise it will wrap
to the next line.

For the emacs ansi-term incompatibility, can you please open an issue at
https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues ? I wasn’t able to reproduce
this behavior in my tests, so anything you can tell us about your config will
be helpful.

Thanks,
_fish