jwc_wensan wrote:

>With the above scenario how many simultaneous users can adequately
>access the server before I would need a second server?  Or is it
>better to ask how many per hour?

See Ted's entry here about scaling Flex:
http://www.powersdk.com/ted/2005/05/scaling-flex.php

I completely agree with him as well.  I don't have Flex running on the
server at all.  Instead, I take my Flex-compiled .swf and place it on a
"typical" web server.  Then, the Flex application is delivered as a .swf
and there's no need for the server to do any extra processing at all.
I've never had a server crash because it couldn't send out .swf files
fast enough.  Keep in mind though, you'll need a Flex license for every
server the .swf file sits on.

You can use RemoteObjects without a Flex server running as well, but
you'll need to use another AMF gateway such as OpenAMF (or you can use
ColdFusion).  If you use WebServices, you might need a little shim
script to get around the security restrictions of the Flash Player
are located on.

>Also, I read somewhere that RemoteObjects is faster.  Is it a
>signficant increase?

In general RemoteObjects are faster because it uses AMF, which is a
binary format and much less verbose than WebServices.  It's hard to give
a definite yes/no answer because I've actually seen results go both ways...

-d