From: Jeff Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006   Time: 06:38:49

>The functional similarity between "Max AGC Gain" and the familiar "RF Gain"
>control raises an interesting question - is it better give a control a name
>that accurately represents what it does in the code (such as "Max AGC Gain")
>but that may be confusing to anyone who hasn't read the manual (or have a
>PHD in Gizmotronics), or to give the control a name that represents the
>control's function in terms that the user is familiar with and lends itself
>to an intuitive understanding of how to use the control?  "Max AGC Gain" is
>more accurate from the point of view of the code itself, but (at least to
>me) "RF Gain" is more intuitive.

Using the word "Max" in the name implies to me that this is a fixed
level.

How 'bout calling it "AGC Threshold" instead? To me, this implies I have
some control over the point where AGC cuts in. A big incoming signal
requires a lower threshold, so I turn the control down, just like an RF
Gain control.

And, as I understand it, the name "AGC Threshold" would relate exactly
what the software actually does.

73
Ian, G3NRW