At 11:49 AM 8/25/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>Well, by this time, everyone knows where I stand on this sort of discussion.
>To me, this is not a marketing issue. We are talking about how to allow
>users of the rig (that have already bought and paid for it) to extract the
>maximum performance from the system.

Mind you, you bought and paid for the hardware, and some level of software
as it was..

And, you have good hardware documentation: all the registers are defined
and their behavior follows the description, and it's not likely to
change.  (at least for the pre RFE version.. I haven't looked at the post
RFE version, since I don't have any of those, but we're not talking huge
changes here.. a few lines on a port to do one thing or another).

You also have example source code (albeit a tad obscure) that achieves some
fairly decent performance, within a "usage model" that is similar to
conventional radios (i.e. RF gain,AF gain, filter passbands) with a
conceptual interface that follows a conventional superhet analog radio
model.  There's a control interface for this model using a modified version
of the Kenwood CAT comamnds that is well documented (although, the date on
the current software modules that handle CAT is quite a bit later than the
date on the docs, but it's probably "reasonably" close)

And, there is a relatively undocumented, but open (in the sense that all
the calls and parameters are visible, albeit with no explanations)
interface to the dttsp engine.  There's also a better documented interface
for PortAudio, PortIO, and pthreads.

And, let us not forget that there's the software interface to the Windows
environment (all gazillion entrypoints) which is documented at varying
levels: the call syntax is very well documented, how to hook the calls
together, less so.

But, I suspect what YOU want (and I want, too, and probably others) is an
abstract interface at a level between the "here's 200 DLL entry points in 5
different DLLs that mutually interact in an undocumented way" and the "CAT
style interface".  That is, you'd like the ability to use the flexibility
inherent in either the current dttsp chain or an alternate processing
chain, but with a reasonably nice, abstracted, and stable interface.  This
is not unique to the SDR1000 and PowerSDR, by the way.  What that interface
should look like as well as what features it should provide is the subject
of much discussion.  Heck, even a standardized way to describe the radio
processing architecture is a subject of much discussion in the SDR world in
general. (the idea is.. I have some sort of thing I want to do with a
software radio, what kind of description of that radio would tell me
whether what I want to do is possible.)

This sort of thing, aside from everyone kind of wanting a different
manifestation, is not something that anyone has signed up to do for the
SDR1000.  I personally feel that there are some significant structural,
logistical, and organizational impediments in the way of anyone who *would*
want to do this, but nothing that is impossible.  It would go a long way
from turning a fairly generalized and flexible hardware platform (the
SDR1000) into a generalized software radio platform.

So, to extracting maximum performance (which, of course, is different for
everyone) is either by virtue of your own toil or the kindness of others.

I think that the discussions of "how do we expose radio functionality", of
which the "gain" discussion is but one facet are quite useful.  Even if
nobody is going to be developing code to support the concepts discussed,
they at least provide a context to frame the discussion about the
development that *is* being done, such as it is.  Even better is that
people, like yourself, are bringing comparative concepts into play.  Hams
are kind of a unique "consumer" of a software radio, because their needs
and requirements span such a huge variety of use cases, and hence, require
a lot of different "conceputal models" for the radio.  It's not like a
cellphone radio designer, where you know, a priori, what the modulations,
bandwidths, functions, etc. need to be.

This is why I like the idea of different interfaces (at a software AND UI
level) to the radio for different modes.  The kinds of high level controls
one might want to manipulate from your UI are different for a CW radio than
for a SSB radio than for a SSTV radio. By controls here, I don't mean
"knobs and sliders on the screen" but, rather, the functions that the UI
calls, after you mouse, or turn, or click, or press the key.

>You are only going to get maximum AGC
>performance in critical listening situations by having ready access to and
>understanding, technically, how to adjust all the DSP engines AGC
>parameters. It is that simple. I wish that you could, in fact, put a simple
>control on the front panel, call it RF Gain, and have it perform some sort
>of magic in all situations. But that isn't going to happen.

Hmm.. but I propose a slightly different model.  In my model, you have an
interface that lets you turn every little inside knob, but, you also have
an interface that lets someone else abstract those to a higher level.

Think in terms of the idea of the new controllers for home entertainment
systems.  Rather than have separate remotes for each component, and
requiring a great degree of sophistication on the part of the user to get
the "best" sound out of the system, you have someone come in and create a
single remote that the user can just push "watch TV" on, and all the system
parameters are configured appropriately, including the selection of
functions available (change channels, etc.).  If I then push "listen to
Music", the stereo is reconfigured to feed from the CD jukebox or computer,
the functions on the remote lose the "channel select" and now I have track
select.

Right now, the ham SDR world is a bit like about 30 years ago in home
stereo.  You have graphic equalizers which you can fiddle with, and a
zillion other knobs.  Compare this to high end sound systems today, where
the eq is in a closet somewhere, with screwdriver style adjustments.  When
was the last time you saw a "tint" control on a TV that was intended to be
user accessible?  Now you get a few "presets" that encapsulate a whole raft
of adjustments.

Another example might be to compare the roles of the director and lighting
designer and the electricians on set.  The director says, "I'd like an
oppressive, brooding feeling, like there's a storm brewing".   The lighting
designer says, ok, I need the following kinds of gels and instruments set
up about here and aimed about there.  The electricians climb into the
rigging and hang the instruments, set up the gels, and program the lighting
board so that the right lights come on when the right channels are pushed
on.  Then, the lighting designer sits at the board and fiddles with the
levels and defines the scenes, interacting a bit with the electricians
(move the fresnel on #12 stage left a few feet, maybe a blue instead of an
violet gel on #54).   Finally, the director looks at what the designer has
done, and says, yep, that's it, or, I hate it, you're all fired, and you'll
never work in this town again because you're clearly incompetent <grin>.

But you get the idea... There's a many decade history with analog
radios.  There's a good conceptual understanding of what happens when you
change something in the analog signal processing chain (i.e. change IF
filters), and people have gotten to where they describe their requirements
in terms of specific implementations (I want a Collins 150 Hz filter, not,
I want this particular shape factor and group delay characteristics).  The
same is true in music... I want that fat overdriven Marshall sound, not,
here's the transfer function of the amplifier I want.

It's hard with such a flexible canvas as DSP.  Most people don't want to
have to specify the DSP chain, in native DSP terms.  But they also want
more adjustibility than just what replicates some other radio.

>As far as the "more intuitive", my response is that we all must keep
>learning new things until the day we die. When I learned to drive it was
>with a stick shift. When I bought my first car with an automatic
>transmission it was not intuitive to operate a car with out a clutch, but I
>learned.   Hams new to DSP radios are going to have to learn a few new
>things. The intuitive part comes with practice.

Very, very true...

As the conceptual models of "what is a radio" evolve, the desired
interfaces will change too.

These days, very few people worry about how many electrodes vs how fast the
rotor spins on their spark gaps, or the difference in quenching speed
between alcohol vapor and air, but those used to be something very
important, in terms of performance.

Jim