On 4/12/07, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you do the math, the FLEX-5000A is not that much more expensive than
> the SDR-1000
>
> First, lets assume the PC is a wash in this equation.  A comparably
> loaded SDR-1000, with a 100 watt PA, and assuming you did pare it up
> with a LynxTWO sound card, you would get a price of $2500.   The
> FLEX-5000 introductory price is $2500, so the delta for all of the new
> and improved features is only $0.
>
> even if you assumed an FA-66 sound card, the delta there is only $700.
> If the radio has performance numbers even approaching that of the
> FT-9000 or the IC-7800,
>
> That  is major bargain!  Even at twice the price!
>
> -Tim
> -----

Yes, I agree when you add it up the price isn't really that much more.
 I should have left the "large" out of "large increase in price".
Though, psychologically, it does seem at first glance to be a large
increase until you take everything into consideration.  I am sure the
hardware design changes more than make up for the differential in
price.  It would be nice to hear about them - in general, not asking
for schematics or a detailed dissertation, etc...  :-).

73 Phil N8VB