To make the 1500 do what you want, you will need to buy an amp and a tuner. The cost of those two additional items equals or exceeds the cost of a 3000, and the 3000 has a better receiver.

I've seen a lot of new hams start out with a marginal setup, then get discouraged because it is hard to make contacts.

Some people love the challenge, have big antennas to make up for the low power, etc. But starting out, a nice 100 watt rig is a great starting experience.