Thanks for the input guys!

I can't take anything that "looks" like a radio, it could cause problems with
some of the places I go. My thought behind wanting a 1500 is that it looks like
a portable hard drive and is pretty small and light. Also, I was thinking that
the cost of a used 1500 plus a used amp would be hundreds cheaper than the cost
of a 3000.

As far as a tuner, my thought was that I wouldn't need one. I'd take a resonate
antenna cut specifically for a small portion of the 40 meter band. This setup
would be CW only.

As far as lugging a computer - I have to take a laptop with me anyway. I edit
my photography and video while in the field plus I use it to run the BGAN
satellite modem which is my primary means to communicate with the world. (check
out my website to see what I do: http://eyesofman.org)

The purpose of all this is to have a backup in case the BGAN goes down or I'm
in a place where it doesn't have line of site to its bird. I plan on teaming
with a few HAMs here in the states with big gun stations (ie, nice beams) to
have regularly scheduled QSOs saying where I at, what's happening, etc...