One thing almost as useless is the "scope."

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:24 PM, David Edwards <w...@verizon.net> wrote:

I have been using the Flex 5K with Win7 64bit running on an i7 with 12 gb
memory for about 5 years now. Have upgraded software at least 4 major revisions
now running v2.7.2 PowerSDR. This is an awsome radio and my best radio.
Currently have 2 other HF radios: IC7800 and TS2000 and have had many Kenwood
and Yaesu radios over the years.

There is one area where the Flex 5K falls down and has not really ever worked.
The DSP noise reduction is useless. Over the years I have not seen any
situation where switching on NR improves the ability to copy a weak signal. The
IC7800 DSP NR is FAR superior. When I purchased the Flex at the Boxborough Ma
hamfest the canned demonstration showed incredible signal improvement using NR.
So I wonder when the NR will ever be improved to at least the usable state.

BTW I’ve tried every conceivable setting on the DSP and Audio config. pages,
have lots of processing power and lots of experience with SDR’s. I work with
the most expensive SDR everyday of the week at my job: The General Dynamics
DMR, at $500K per copy this isn’t comparable but my point is I’m not new to
SDR. That said if I’m missing something I’d like to hear from others who may
have had a different experience.  Again I think this is a great radio just not
great DSP NR.