Ok Double Ditto what Michael just posted.
They are only as useful as you want them to be.

On 2/24/2014 6:50 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
I would disagree on both the Scope and the NR.

I have had a Flex for many years.  The NR has made a difference and is
certainly better than the NR on any other radio that I have used.  The NR
is not plug and play, nor it is it locked down that those hard coded units
I have with very little adjustment.  NR is a very complicated algorithm and
most noises are not the same.  However, the use of the NR and a frequency
designed receiving antenna have made the largest difference in my ability
to hear things.

As for the Scope, I wouldn't live without it.  The Histogram is very useful
when watching other stations on their audio distribution and is certainly
better then anything else.  In my 6M work, it is invaluable for spotting
signals, although the spurs do drive me crazy at times.

As for AM, I never use it as I personally find it a waste of bandwidth, but
that is just me.  I personally feel that our goal is to get the information
of a QSO across the ether and you don't need 5Khz to do that.  I'm not
trying to upset the AM guys, just my view of AM, while very historic, is
just not efficient.  It is good that we have so many options even including
DV.

For those of you who don't like the NR or don't like the Scope, then why
are you still using the radio and have not moved on to something else?

Mike va3mw