On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:52, Norman Vine wrote:
> I agree that it would be nice to have all instruments etc have interactive
> interfaces ala a mouse click, if that is at all realistic, but this does not
> necessarily
> mean that the dialog boxes should go.
> [Flightgear has] a much broader vision then a first person experience of
> flight !!
>
> So if you don't want to use the menu or dialog box interface don't
> and they won't spoil your experience  :-)

Agreed, but if we've got a better scheme, why keep the dialog boxes?
Every disjoint aspect to the GUI is just another thing waiting to go
wrong, as with the Cessna autopilot where the dialog box is invisibly
disconnected from the real autopilot.

Now, maybe if the autopilot dialog box was part of the "autopilot
object" so to speak, then such a mistake couldn't happen, and I'd
retract my complaint on those grounds at least.

It would be neat if the instruments were objects in that way (I suspect
they're not currently). If your airplane uses one, its instantiation
code would to hook any dialog box interface that it may have into the
list of things on a given menu, to start feeding polygons and textures
reflecting its state to the OpenGL engine. Later, if that object sees a
double-click on itself, it pops open a draggable, scalable window
containing a photorealistic image of its front panel, maybe allowing
clicks on that window to set its parameters.

Steve.