On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 17:29, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Norman Vine wrote:
> >FlightGear is more then just a first person sim
> >These other uses may have reasons to want
> >dialog box displays.
> >
> >Again  if you don't ike the dialog boxes don't use them
> >but please do not advocate taking them away.
> >
> Norman isn't saying blindly keep dumb or broken stuff.  What he is
> saying is entirely compatible with a discussion about fixing bugs or
> making the gui work better or be more intuitive or less confusing.
> There is ample room for this sort of thing.

Whoa! I get the message! The flameproof suit is burning through in
places! I back off!

Scrub the idea of getting rid of the dialog boxes, as you say they often
are easier to use than the simulated "real instrument". Indeed, I was
using the autopilot dialog partly for that reason when I tripped over
the bug that started me off on this rant.

See elsewhere for the "object orientated" instrument suggestions that
should avoid repeats of the Cessna autopilot mess.

Steve.