On Sat 9. March 2002 20:36, you wrote:
> As far as I can figure out, there are only three situations we need to
> deal with in the viewer code:
>
> 1. Looking away from a known position.
> 2. Looking towards a known position from a known distance and
>    angle(s).
> 3. Looking from one known position towards another.
>
> An example of (1) is the view from inside the aircraft; an example of
> (2) is a chase view; and an example of (3) is a tower view.  The view
> manager class should take care of setting up viewers appropriately for
> different situations.
>
> In every case, we want to be able to specify offsets for all six
> degrees of freedom.  I think that it makes sense to put all of this in
> a single, configurable viewer class, rather than having separater
> viewer_lookat, viewer_rph, and (eventually) viewer_tower classes that
> duplicate most of each-others' code.

There are some diferents how the viewer is initialized and
from where it take new position.
Your viewpoint could be static or change position or (and) up vector
in some dependency on FDM or maybe time.

> The main required output is the VIEW matrix to pass to ssgSetCamera,
> but several parts of FlightGear need vectors and matrices that are
> byproducts of calculating VIEW as well (such as the world-up vector);
> it would be nice to minimize these dependencies as far as possible.
>
> All of the views can still be managed by the view-manager class (a
> proper subsystem), but we should try to remove all hard-coded
> dependencies from the rest of the FlightGear codebase.  For example,
> the scenery code doesn't need to know which view is in use; it only
> needs to know where the coordinates and VIEW matrix for the camera.
>
> Comments?  Volunteers?  I think that the easiest solution is probably
> a clean rewrite, but paying close attention to how Norm used the
> matrices and vectors in the original.

IMHO the view also should control if panel, hud or virtual cockpit is used.
and if it preserve state if you switch to another view and then return back.

I think that we should write down the properties tree first and then
make new view class.

There is also question if support command line parametrs for changing
view parametrs and how.

I started some coding and found all places where viewer is hardcoded.
But total rewrite of view class is IMHO out of my programing skill, specially
unlink scenery from FDM position :-(

Regards,
Madr

--