What I would like to see implimented is a 'standard' DCS system (where
DCS stands for dyanamic coordinate system which is industry lingo for
objects that move in the scene ... their local coordinate system is
'dyanamic'.

I'm envisioning a DCS manager where you can register 'entities' with
an associated 3d model and an associated 'behavior'.  The behavior
could be a preset path to follow, or something more AI-ish, or even
something like JSBSim or YAsim (or perhaps entity positions could be
driven externally from a server to produce a 'shared' world for
collaborative flying.)  I'm thinking we could create some simple
"FDM's", one that replays a preset path, and one that impliments
ultra-simple-light-weight flight dynamics which would be good enough
for 'realistic' robot planes viewed from a distance, but simple enough
so we can compute the dyanmics for "many" planes each frame.

The DCS system would take care of loading and attaching the 3d models
to the correct place in the scene graph and removing them.  It would
call the update() routine for each of their "engines".  And it would
probably provide some sort of property interface to the positions,
orientations, and velocities of these dynamics entities.

That doesn't solve all the problems and address all the issues, but I
think it would be a good start.

Anyone want to work on this?  I could even give you your own
subdirectory.  <ooh/ahh> :-)

Regards,

Curt.