On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:50:18 -0000
  "Jim Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've been working toward this sort of thing slowly severing the ties
>between the model code and the viewer so that we can have multiples of
>both. The new viewer interface will make it possible to have multiple
>FDM's and changes I'm planning for the model code over the next week will
>make it entirely autonomous.

Whoa! We'd better coordinate on this. I've got a mechanism
for multiple FDMs already figured out for JSBSim. It
doesn't break anything that any other FDM does, either, I
believe. What are you doing with the way FDMs are
instantiated?!

>The bigger problem (or so it seems to me :-)) is the one
>Andy brought up.  How you model stopping on a moving runway.

This really is not a big deal after all, I think. The gear
model calculates forces and moments imparted to the
aircraft based on the aircraft motion and elevation (and
we really should be modeling non-vertical-normal surfaces,
too). We simply need to change the elevation in a dynamic
way (and the aircraft will respond appropriately) and feed
the local frame runway motion to the aircraft so it can
calculate the relative motion of the aircraft wrt the
runway. The rest will work as is. The aircraft will have a
residual airspeed and forces/moments will be generated
appropriately.

Jon