Jon Berndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > This may sound like a lame idea.  I am not all that versed on xml
> > technology,
> >  but it seems to me that there is a standard form for something
> > like this.  In
> > the database world there is something called a "Data dictionary"
> > that works as
> > a central repository for data items, their types, default values, short
> > descriptions, long descriptions, etc.
>
> I've seen Doxygen mentioned here previously, IIRC. I can vouch for its
> effectiveness as a documentation aid. Doxygen can produce a pretty
> detailed index. This would be a start, if nothing else. I also wonder if
> there shouldn't be a way to - dump at run time - the listing you ask for
> (for instance in a debug compile, one could have this capability).

Yes and I think Doxygen sounds like a good thing.  To be honest I don't really
have much trouble figuring out what the properties are and if I need to know
what sets/reads them, grep works fine.  But it does seem as though a central
dictionary (for lack of a better term) to which xml configs refer might yield
some benifit for new programmers as well as simplifying the coding of xml files.
Maybe even error checking.  Again this is a topic I'm not familiar with...just
asking the question.

Best,

Jim