Jim Wilson writes:

 > Is this the sort of thing that a standard "DTD" document provides?
 > Or could we develop our own dictionary of sorts?  I'm suggesting
 > that this could provide the documentation we need (if it is
 > centralized).

No, DTDs are strictly structural -- think of it as a specialized
version of BNF.

 > If it assumed an active role in the property system, then it could
 > be used as a resource to simplify coding individual xml files,
 > since default values, types, and other properties could be sourced
 > from the central "dictionary".

We can create a dictionary in XML, but then we have the problem of
maintaining properties in multiple locations.

Another alternative is to allow documentation attributes for all
properties:

  <controls doc="aircraft control inputs">
   <aileron doc="aileron position: left=-1, neutral=0,right=1">0</aileron>
  </controls>

and so on.  That's the inelegant, English-only solution; the more
elegant solution is to document in external files, but then we get
maintenance issues again.

All the best,

David

--