David Megginson writes:

> Norman Vine writes:
>
>  > > Thanks.  That's pretty handy.  I notice that this does not seem
>  > > to include all of the property information in some files, eg
>  > > sound.xml (and several other .xml files seen when searching
>  > > through the "props" file).
>  >
>  > Yes I noticed that this is not a *complete* dump too :-(
>  >
>  > I find that massaging this file a little is even handier, for
>  > example the attached script creates this from the file the above
>  > patch produces and can be easily modified to do other things with
>  > the "properties"
>
> Not everything that is read from an XML file resides in the main
> property tree; some subsystems also use XML files for initial
> configuration information.

I see that but I thought one of the motivating factors for the 'properties'
was to have a central location for all of the 'data'

Hence shouldn't the subsytems also stem from global->get_props() too ?

Are there reasons that it isn't done this way ?

Efficiency isn't a problem as the subsytem can just cache a node to serve
as it's local root.

Cheers

Norman