> An earlier thread mentioned some other things including a Reno race course
> based game.  That would be very interesting.

Agreed!  It would be a great feature to spur the development of 1930's era
racers too.

> it offensive to even have source code included that discusses in weapon terms,

To me this is absurd to the extreme.

I've been watching this discussion with _great_ interest.  I'll freely
admit that I would benefit to a great deal if combat features are added to
FlghtGear.  The benefit would be the ability to fully "enable" all the A/A
& A/G features of my F-15C project.

I can understand that there are those that don't like the idea of combat
features in FG.  That's fine, but don't even _think_ about making it
difficult for people to add those features if they're willing to put the
time into the project.

If you don't want munitions available in your copy of FG, no problem.  I'm
sure the fine folks that are going to be working on this could go so far
as to make it a compile time option.

A plug-in feature would be a good idea for things like avionics systems,
radar, TCAS, etc.  Even a plug-in system that defined the flight model and
guidance computers of an A/A missile would be a good idea.  However,
critical elements such as collision detection needs to be built into the
core engine.  Collision detection will be a core feature of both combat
and non-combat situations.  The simulator needs to know when to bust your
nosegear when you accidentally run over a taxiway sign as well as foul up
the FDM of the airplane I just sawed in half with my M61A1.

There has been some mention of the potential problem of the non-combat
types being engaged against their will on a multi-player server.  This
should be a non-issue simply by reason of a guns/no-guns flag on the
server.  That way even if John Q. Griefer decides to go bunny hunting with
his F/A-18, he wouldn't be able to release anything or fire his guns, or
for that matter even be able to collide with you on purpose.  Problem
solved.

Another option could be to add a similar flag for the client so that
people that have combat mode selected won't even see the non-combat
players on the server.  This would allow one server to be used by all.

At any rate, when someone comes up to you and offers to add some neat
features, don't slap 'em in the face over stuff you find "objectionable".
If you don't like it, change the damn channel (./configure
--with_combat=NO) and leave the rest of us to our toys.

g.

--
Proud owner of 80-0007