>From your description, it looks like the --enable-game-mode works with the
debian freeglut3 package due to a debian specific patch. Just verified
with freeglut3 and freeglut3-dev/2.2.0-8, it still works as expected here
on a Debian system with the CVS flightgear, i.e., this is not some
breakage due to some recent FG change. I am not using the CVS freeglut,
relying on the Debian packages.

I vaguely remember that something like you describe did happen with fgfs
0.9.8, and that some change to the FGFS code was made to make the game
mode option work again. While I am sure that you are using the latest
CVS code, maybe that will give some clue to the nature of the breakage of
freeglut.

You can apply the Debian patch over the baseline freeglut 2.2.0 of
Fedora Core, or maybe use the "alien" tool to convert the debian package
for use with that Fedora system, in case you don't like "unfree" libs.

HTH,
Vassilii