"Curtis L. Olson" wrote:

> The trick maybe to find a good sea floor elevation database that is
> reasonably compatible with SRTM, and mesh the two data sets seamlessly.

  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/relief.html

has an interesting survey on bathymetric data. But I don't think we
need a realistic simulation of the effect for use in Flightgear,
changing colours according to the tidal changes should be sufficient.
This could be done by declaring respective areas of the ocean as
tideland and moving the shoreline proportionally to the time that has
passed since the last hig- or low-tides.
Still someone would have to develop a schema to calculate the tides ....

        Martin.