On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:25:58 -0500, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Justin Smithies wrote:
>
> >Just got a reply from Vatsim ive pasted it it below.
> >
> >: it's certainly viable to start such a client. However, in order to
> > connect to the VATSIM network, it needs to be using libraries

..really???  Didn't Microsoft tell the world a similar story before
http://samba.org/ emerged?  ;o)

> > whose source code is proprietary to VATSIM (i.e. its source code is
> > under Non  Disclosure Agreement).
> >
> > If that's OK with you, let me know.

..I'd settle for doing it the Samba way, Samba is GPL too, instead of
inviting lawsuits for copyright infringement.  Sniffing black box wiring
is legal.  You wanna check out Samba.org's track record, also in
litigation.  ;o)

> Vatsim would be a "competitor" to our native multiplayer system,
> right?

..and they are entitled to it, and to _anything_ from
their NDA signatories, under their NDA.  ;o)

> Would it be possible to develop the vatsim interface as a separate
> utility that runs in the background.  It could exchange data with FG
> through our multiplayer interface configured to talk to the local
> vatsim  daemon and then the vatsim daemon could talk to the vatsim
> world.

..and it could be in a black box too, and under the GPL.

> It goes against the windows philosophy of cramming everything into a
> big  monolithic application, but I would be ok with breaking that rule
> just  this once. :-)

..uhuh.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: