* Mathias Fröhlich -- Thursday 17 August 2006 07:48:
> From my point of view this is a total misfeature.

And from my point of view it is a misfeature to bolt the pilot's
head on the fuselage, which is what it looks and feels like with
the "old" static view -- on a helicopter more so than on a fixed
wing. That's why this feature will remain active by default.
BTW: if someone wants to test it on other aircraft, here's a
first stab at a generalized version:

  http://members.aon.at/mfranz/flightgear/dynamic_view.nas  [4.2 kB]

Put it into $FG_ROOT/Nasal/ and start fgfs like so:

  $ fgfs --aircraft=OV10_USAFE --airport=KNUQ --prop:sim/view/dynamic=1

This needs to be enabled from the beginning, as it can't currently
be turned on at runtime. (JSBSim is a bit problematic on ground due
to excessive y acceleration. Which is what *I* call a misfeature. :-)

> > We could use some more helicopters. What about you?! Any contribution
> > around the corner?
> Don't mix up independent things Mechior ...

It was too tempting. It's OK for non-developers to lurk on a development
list, it's also OK for them to criticize developers, but demanding
justification from those who do the work is a bit too much. Or was too
much yesterday late in the evening.

> No, if you want to present flightgear in an environment where this stuff does
> not make sense at all and where people expect a somehow well done and working
> presentation, you don't want to additionally fiddle with that stuff.

Then I take the apology back. You honestly think that's a valid reason?
FlightGear should be perfectly preconfigured for retarded booth staff?
And the other 1000000 users should fiddle instead? Now, this is funny.
And a very innovative view, indeed. One would think that someone who
presents FlightGear to the public should know about configuration
options, but that's just me.

> But anyway can we have a maser switch to get rid of that once for ever in
> every aircraft?

It's only in the bo105 and the seahawk. Yes, if there's demand for this
to be available in more/all aircraft, then there will certainly be a
common menu entry for all aircraft.

m.