On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Ralf Gerlich wrote:

> Disabling joystick inputs alltogether should not be an option, except -
> perhaps - if you only disable a single axis. Assume that your AP is in
> ALT hold mode and you want to do turns.

You are right about that of course. And using a separate channel is also a
better idea. (And in some AP implementations, not the kap140, the AP is
disengaged if the controls are moved a certain amount or with a certain
force. But that's beside the kap140 issue.) Noice from the js should be
handled elsewhere: deadzone or filtering ...or simply bin old worn-out
joysticks with dodgy sensors. ;)

> OTOH if we're not that much after exact internal modelling, we might as
> well use the trim channel ;-)

The piloting of the aircraft, including AP, should be realistic. In this
case that involves adjusting the pitch trim (manually) -- why there are
warning lights for it on the kap140 panel (irl and in the sim) to inform
him/her that the pitch trim needs to be adjusted to avoid unpleasent
surprises when the AP is disengaged. So it isn't about internal modelling,
but rather external such. ;)