On Tuesday 06 November 2007 09:25, Oliver Schroeder wrote:

> I really think, setting up a mp-client which feeds traffic is the right way
> to go. That way it does not matter, if the traffic is real or artificial.
> And best of all, flightgear itself does not need any changes at all.
> In fact, that was the reason why I tried to introduce a new pseudo-FDM into
> flightgear (well, especially I wanted to turn the AI-Nimitz into a real
> MP-client).

I fully agree. To FlightGear it would be visible as multiplayer aircraft,
coming in over the network. There would be some special cases to consider,
but the general infrastructure of the multiplayer server could serve as a
template for an AI server as well.

> While the feeded vehicle is in the air, there are no problems at all. But
> when approaching ground, or the vehicle is bound to the ground, there is
> one obstacle: The used terrain. In order to have the vehicle exactly on
> ground, the client must have the same terrain data which flightgear has.
> Therefor I thought of flightgear itself as the "feeder".
> If you somehow manage to get the terrain ripped of in some kind of library,
> it would be possible to build just any kind of feeder via the mp-protocoll.

Assuming that AI aircraft behave in a reasonably sane fashion, you'd only need
to take care of elevation points across the runways and taxiways. These data
could be sampled straight from the flightgear scenery, and perhaps stored
locally on the server machine.

Cheers,
Durk