--- Carroll Barry wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to use Flightgear to display real-time air traffic.  At the
> moment I am using tracking data from this site:
> http://www.fly.faa.gov/ASDI/asdi.html
>
> What I would like to be able to do is to create and control aircraft
> programmatically from a c++ application.

Hi Barry,

This was something I took a look at a year or so ago.

The main stumbling block appeared to be getting an actual data feed. The
existing subscribers obviously do this on commercial basis, and I don't
imagine that they'd be happy for FG to use live data. The alternative of
actually installing some kit at the FAA didn't seem all that likely
either.

I eventually decided that the most likely way to get some data would be to
ask for historical data from, say, a single day and use it to populate
some AI aircraft.

I did have a short email discussion with Dave Baker at FlightAware, who
suggested that they might be able to work something out (which was very
kind). Unfortunately nothing came of it as they were very busy at the time
preparing for a trade show, and I moved onto other projects.

Do you have access to a live feed ?

In my opinion the data feed issue is critical - the rest is just
implementation. We've a whole range of ways in which we can display the
aircraft. With a live feed, I think the most sensible method would be as a
specialized MP client. That minimizes the load on the other clients and
means the MP server can filter the correct traffic for each client.

-Stuart