On 09/19/09 06:13, Erik Hofman wrote:

> This  is a heads up that I'm working on improving the sound system quite
> a bit with a few new concepts in mind.

That's a good thing to work on.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Here's one more thing to think about in this context:
text to speech.  AFAICT the status is:
 1) The existing home-brew TTS system (involving
  ATC/default.vce and ATC/default.wav) is very limited.
  It does not claim to handle the general case.  It
  does not even have enough vocabulary to handle an
  ICAO standard ATIS (with perhaps verrry rare exeptions).
  It only knows the names of a few airports.
 2) There is a documented interface to the Festival
  TTS system.  Alas, the preponderance of the evidence
  indicates this has not worked in several years.
  AFAICT all reports of working TTS refer to the
  home-brew system (item 1 above).

I have no opinion on _how_ to implement TTS, whether
home-brew, Festival, or other.

However, _some_ sort of robust TTS would be extremely
valuable.  (If this is not obvious, I would be happy
to discuss _why_ it is valuable.)