On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Iwrote:

>> 2) There is a documented interface to the Festival
>>  TTS system.  Alas, the preponderance of the evidence
>>  indicates this has not worked in several years.

On 09/19/2009 01:23 PM, Anders Gidenstam replied:

> Using Festival from FlightGear works very well for various types of text
> messages, mainly from the MP and auto-ATC subsystems (and aircraft
> specific systems). See Docs/README.voice.html for setup information.
>
> If ATIS also used the that system I think we'd be home.

I reiterate that chez moi, the festival features as
documented in Docs/getstart.pdf do not work.  They
have not worked for years, if ever.  This bug has been
observed using Debian Etch, Debian Lenny, and now Debian
Squeeze.

In every case, I observe that the festival server works
fine when FGFS is not running, but is unable to make any
sound when FGFS is running.  This is unsurprising, given
that both of them are trying to send to /dev/dsp which
AFAICT has never allowed multiple access.

I know it is possible to install additional layers of
sound processing, but there is no mention of the need
or method for doing that in getstart.pdf nor in
Docs/README.voices.html nor in fgfs --help --verbose.
Setting up a .openalrc file as mentioned in README.sound
does not solve the problem.

Bottom line:  I am willing to believe FGFS can be made
to talk to festival under some conditions on some systems.

Perhaps somebody who knows how it is done would be kind
enough to explain.