On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Jack Mermod wrote:
> Hi,
>
>        The Red Bull livery has been removed from this release.
>
> Download: http://jackmermod.bplaced.net/Files/cobra21511.zip
>
> I find it ridiculous and a bit immature how Oliver people whine about
> a simple logo.

It is neither ridiculous nor immature.

Unfortunately the reality of the world that we live in is that
Intellectual Property licensing is very important, particularly for a
project such as FlightGear where we are all volunteers

While you may not see it as an issue, and be prepared to fight in
court, by having someone include the logo in the git repository we
would be making them, and possibly all the git maintainers, personally
liable for any infringement.

Red Bull might not care, but if they did, the costs of defending such
legal challenges would be huge, even if we were not infringing. If you
have no assets you might not be a target, but I have sufficient assets
and a wife and child to think about - it is simply not worth the risk.

Approaching Red Bull directly (as noted in the topic) seems by far the
most sensible option here. I would be very interested in what they
say, but I strongly suspect at the very least it would have some
non-commercial clause that would be incompatible with the GPL.

> If Oliver really cared about preventing fictitious lawsuits as he
> claims to, he would concentrate his efforts on the several red bull
> logos that are already in our database.

IMO these need to be removed. Could you list them please so we can get
in touch with the maintainers?

FYI, when I initially created the Pitts biplane for FG, it had a "Duff
Beer" livery, after the beer in The Simpsons. So, a wholly fictious
brand in a cartoon. After some discussion, we decided that this wasn't
really appropriate and it was removed from (then) cvs. So, you're not
the first to be in this position.

> If this thread is further interfered with, I will be forced to result
> to more forceful methods of having my work committed, or I may very
> well change the license back to the CC license and our community will
> have missed out on a very high quality aircraft.

I don't think posting to the FlightGear-Dev list can be considered
"interfering". It is after all, a discussion group :)

It is important that these issues are discussed - and this is exactly
the correct forum for this.

I think you will find that any other git committer will want to
discuss these issues in an open forum and come to a consensus view
rather than just committing such work. I expect that they would have
exactly the same concerns as me.

This is not an issue with GPL/CC licensing. You are perfectly entitled
to release your aircraft with the Red Bull livery under the GPL - in
fact you have already done so! The issue is whether it is something
that we can risk adding to the core FG repository.

Note that to change to a CC license, you would need to get permission
from all the contributors to the aircraft. From reading the Forum
topic, it would appear to be a great example of cooperation between
many different people.

Frankly such threats of changing the license are beneath you.

-Stuart