From: Reagan Thomas [mailto:thomas...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:12 AM
To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] .."IP" and litigation risks, was: AH-1 Merge
Request

On 2/15/2011 8:27 PM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:50:36 -0800, Jack wrote in message
> <72e5b800-d213-466d-bf46-c3d33d4ae...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>      The Red Bull livery has been removed from this release.
>>
>> Download: http://jackmermod.bplaced.net/Files/cobra21511.zip
>>
>> I find it ridiculous and a bit immature how Oliver people whine about
>> a simple logo.
>>
>> If Oliver really cared about preventing fictitious lawsuits as he
>> claims to, he would concentrate his efforts on the several red bull
>> logos that are already in our database.
> .._where_?
>
>> If this thread is further interfered with, I will be forced to result
>> to more forceful methods of having my work committed, or I may very
>> well change the license back to the CC license and our community will
>> have missed out on a very high quality aircraft.
>>
>> Regards,
>>                Jack
>
> ..now, imagine where _we_ would have been if tSCOG _had_ a case
> against Big Blue.  You would have had to pay tSCOG US $1499 (or
> whatever it was) for every thread in your cpu.  They were targeting
> GPL code, and the GPL itself, as anti-American.
>
> ..even as we celebrate the approaching conclusion of:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110215183557939 in
> http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20040319041857760
> it is _just_ a side show.  http://groklaw.net/ has waaay more.

Jack,

You know who takes trademark law seriously?  Trademark owners.

An owner must protect their trademarks from being used in ways that decrease
the value to them.  This tends to be two areas, one very specific and the
other kind of broad.  The first thing they must protect against is their
trademark becoming generic; if everyone refers to an adhesive bandage as a
"Band-Aid", then Johnson and Johnson, who owns that trademark, runs the risk
of losing the exclusive use of it.  In fact, they made their advertising
jingle many years ago to include "stuck on Band-Aid brand" as a very public
way of asserting their ownership of the brand.  Did you know Otis Elevator
company came up with and trademarked the name "escalator"?  They did not
actively (enough) assert their ownership of that trademark and have lost any
rights of exclusivity to it.  It is now a generic term that any company can
use to refer to stairs that move or anything else, for that matter.  In
these cases, it is an *urgent* obligation of the trademark owner to sue the
pants off of any infringer.

The remaining broad category is your trademark being used in any other way
that decreases its value to you.  This can be using it to refer to products
or things it isn't intended to be associated with, removing the focus from
the owner's product(s).  Worse are cases where a trademark is used in ways
that are harmful to the image of the owner or the owner's products.

A hopefully imaginary example here might be the questionable marketing
practices of certain people who are selling FlightGear to the public.
Hell, even *we* don't want to be associated with them... why would Red
Bull (tm) like it any better?   They have much more to lose, in terms of
gross dollars, than anyone here does if their trademarks were to become
associated with misbehavior.  So, you might say, let them go after
ProSimFraud if they are misbehaving.  The ProFraudSimulator people would
simply point to FlightGear and say, "hey this is Open Source and *they* did
it!"

This topic has come up here before and I even checked with American Airlines
about use of their logos/trademarks.  Their answer was dense legal talk that
I roughly translated to mean "we realize we can't stop everybody from using
our logos, but boy howdy, we have the right to kick your ass in court if you
do it and tick us off!"

How is open source Red Hat Enterprise different from open source CentOS?
Trademarks.  The words "Red Hat" and any logos owned by them are completely
removed by the CentOS group, leaving the only encumbrances those obligations
covered by the GPL.  It's kind of neat that you can take a Red Hat
installation, point it to a CentOS repository instead of the Red Hat network
and have it install updates.
When the updates are complete, Ta dah!  You now have a CentOS branded
installation.  Back on point, Red Hat differentiates its products by the
services they provide and the *trademarks* that they own.  Sure, you can use
their operating system code freely, but not their services or *trademarks*.
Like American Airlines, they have the right to kick your ass in court for
doing so.

If the Red Bull were to get litigious on us, they'd have to put some names
on the law suit.  There isn't a FlightGear Foundation or any single entity
responsible for FG, so right at the top of the list would be names near and
dear to us, starting with Curtis Olson.  The list of defendants would
probably include anyone else identified as being responsible for the
infringement, such as whoever committed the livery to git and whoever
participated in releasing the software to the public in any other way.
Heck, they may even remember to include Jack Mermod.

We all break the law every once in a while, so let's do a risk weight
comparison between two things that seem pretty minor:  Speeding and
trademark infringement.  I often drive over 60 miles per hour in a 55 MPH
zone.  My main risk is a fine that will run at most about $80 and my chances
of getting caught are relatively low.  In comparison, even
*successfully* defending yourself from an infringement suit will run at
least in the 10's of thousands of dollars.  Oh, and given the public nature
of the FG project, I'd guess the chance of Red Bull noticing trademark
infringement is about 100%.  Whether or not they would sue, don't know, but
would you risk it?  Should Curtis Olson risk it on your behalf?