A while ago I posed the question:

"What I have been wondering is the following: Currently I am using *.rgb
textures. I have noticed that the filesize can be reduced by a factor 2 or
so by going to *.png textures. However, what is the format which would
most efficiently into the scenery? If *.png saves filespace at the expense
of time, then there's no point in converting, but if png also loads a
factor 2 faster, I would convert all texture sheets."

I have now done some tests myself - and here are the (surprising?) results
(I may have to add here that I have no clue what the various dds options
and formats actually are...)

The test texture:

One 1024x1024 texture sheet (altocumulus_textures.rgb), the original is a
gimp-created *.rgb file, converted with gimp to a *.png and using nvidia
texture tools

./nvcompress -nomips -bc3 altocumulus_textures.png altocumulus_textures.dds

into dds format.

The test situation:

50.000 ft straight above TNCM, looking down with maximal view angle, 45 km
visibility, creating a 50x50 sheet of Altocumulus clouds.

The measurement: File size, time till the cloud sheet has appeared in the
scenery, framerate after the cloud sheet has appeared in the scenery.

The result:

rgb: filesize 1.7 MB, time to appear 12 s, framerate for rendering 32 fps
png: filesize 0.8 MB, time to appear 135 s (!), framerate for rendering 21
fps
dds: filesize 1.1 MB, time to appear 13 s, framerate for rendering 20 fps

I have also tried other dds options, some didn't even render properly, and
none was better than the bc3 shown here.

... and the winner is: The rgb format.

Given than harddisk space is cheap, whereas framerate is not, the larger
impact on the framerate makes dds simply not competitive for me - if 0.6
MB space cost 10 fps, then that's a very bad deal. png really seems to be
a bad guy - it slows the system down incredibly.

So, my answer is, apparently it doesn't help to use a different texture
format to speed the system up, rgb is as fast as it gets. Which is
disappointing, but that's how it is.

If I made a mistake somewhere, please let me know!

Cheers,

* Thorsten