I've been doing some tests with dds textures too, only in the airplane models,
and there's an increase in both performance and quality.
Take the IAR-80 for example, changing liveries with .png textures takes ~6
seconds, while with the dds texture it takes ~2seconds.
The increase in file size is of about one third:
.png -> ~12.5 MB
.dds -> 16 MB
But what nails it for me is the quality of the normalmap effect, wich for the
same texture shows a dramatic improvement.

You may want to check this post I've made yesterday on the forums for some
visual comparisons:

http://flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=118570#p118570

Is it just me, or is the graphic engine performing some kind of cheap texture
compression?
(Maybe that's why you did't notice any performance improvement).