Hi Martin,
I re-read the messages on starting and I see...

loadxml: reading '' denied (unauthorized access)

Seems odd. I ran chmod to ensure no read permissions are unset, and chown and
chgrp to ensure all files are set to my user 'chris' and group 'users'. Still
get the same message. Is this perhaps a problem with the compile I've done?

My custom stuff consists of 2 folders of models (Models/AUSworking,
Models/NZworking), and a 1x1 tile rebuild of e150s30. All the custom
Models/AUSworking, Models/NZworking, Scenery/Objects and Scenery/Terrain stuff
is not part of the fgdata pull.

What I do when I update fgdata is I keep a backup copy of the fresh pull, along
with a backup copy of the old fgdata complete with my custom stuff. When I say
I 'merge' the folders I take a copy of the fresh pull, copy that to a location
to use as my 'live' folder, then manually copy to the live location from my old
fgdata all of my custom stuff. Nothing old overwrites anything new, it just
gets added together - none of the old non-custom data overwrites any of the
freshly pulled data. That method has worked fine for me in the past, and there
is no reason why it should not work now.

Terrain loads, even my modified e150s30 terrain - just no objects defined in
Scenery/Objects appear for any folder other than w130n30. The only difference I
can see there is that all the custom models for KSFO are stored in the
Scenery/Objects/w130n30/xxx folders and not somewhere under Models/. Paths are
set correctly in the *.stg files under Scenery/Objects/...

If I use the old fgdata as a live folder the objects load (fg complains about
missing skydome shader etc). All I am doing is copying the old custom stuff
into the new base package.

The loadxml thing seems an obvious candidate to start looking at what is
happening.

Best regards,

Chris Wilkinson, YBBN/BNE.