> Thanks for the info - that confirms what I noticed: After Installing and
> doing some tests with LaTex and LyX I did not find a feasible way to
> import the newly designed appearance - seems you really have to just
> extract everything except the plain text and and build it up new -
> without the support of a WYSIWYG-system! And if you wanted to change the
> appearance of the manual you first would have to build up new predefined
> structures (comparable to the CSS-Structures in HTML). That sounds like
> a whole lot of work - and I wonder how I or anybody else can help with
> that! Is there a description of that process?

As a long time LaTeX user, let me comment on a few points.

LaTeX is not a word processor, it is a professional typesetting tool. I
don't know about fiction books, but the vast majority of science books you
can buy is done with LaTeX. If you know how to work with it (rather than
against it), the layout you can get is orders of magnitude better than
anything else.

If you want to work with LaTeX, you have to think in a new way about
things. You're talking about support of a WYSIWYG-system - but in reality,
there is no such thing - it doesn't really support you with anything. As
an author of a text, I should not micromanage the layout - my task is to
define what is in what section, what is figure caption, what is footnote,
and so on.

Based on that, the publisher does the layout. You may design the manual in
12pt fonts and an a4 page format so that people can print it. I may rather
want to change it into two column, 10 pt fonts and a B4 format to make a
hardcover book out of it. To do so with a properly designed LaTeX file
costs me 5 lines in the header, and just maybe less than 10 minutes
optimizing figure placement manually. To do so in a WYSIWYG word processor
is a nightmare, to say the least.

You have to rethink your task as author - it's just to identify the
function of all text elements and to trust LaTeX to do the rest (it's
*really* good doing that).

There are numerous manuals around in the web - www.ctan.org is as good a
starting point as any.

In case there is a specific question not covered in the manual, you can
also ask me - there's hardly anything about LaTeX which I don't know (or
can't find out within 10 minutes).

Cheers,

* Thorsten