On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 14:28 +0000, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> The main thrust of your proposal is to change the current process,
> which can broadly be described as:
>
> Latex -> PDF/HTML
>
> to one where you have
>
> Wiki -> HTML
>
> AFAICT , we gain:
> - easier editing for those not familiar with Latex
> - probably more contribution as it's easier to edit
> - cross-referencing between completely separate documents
>
> But we lose
> - the ability to produce a nice hardcopy manual,
> - real control over the content - anyone can edit the source.
> - proper version control (how do you differentiate between what is
> relevant to 2.6.0 and 2.4.0?)
>
> etc..

Stuart,
thank you very much for the detailed response to my proposal - and I
certainly will revisit those items again in the near future. But since
my first proposal, there are some new developments popping up, which I
need to evaluate first in more detail:

1) I believe there is no harm when there is a German version in the WIKI
- that will definitely not become the "authoritative raw source" - and
thus may develop into a pure "user-manual, written for and by users".
Without Engineering being responsible for that (but of course they have
the same privileges to change like any user).

2) George Patterson did a good job challenging me as "devils advocate",
but he also mentioned references to the new developments in
Mediawiki's extensions. In the meantime I did some (theoretical) studies
on those and it seems that with
 http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection and
 http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PDF_Writer
we actually can
- create the Manual in small pieces (== unique wiki pages)
- "Collect" any wanted wiki-pages in a "Book", still inside the wiki
- convert that into a PDF -- including page-numbers and a
real Index at the and!

In addition each user could print that book any time using e.g.
 http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikis_Go_Printable and
 http://pediapress.com/
for himself. Of course he also has to pay for himself --> that seems to
amount to about 20$ for 200 pages, inclusive binding, hardcover,
etc. Wouldn't that be a nice Xmas-present for FGFS-freaks?)

So far the theories -- I will try to challenge that with the German
Manual. I suggest to wait for the results of that test and then revisit
the opportunities we have.

I hope that is acceptable for all of us - again: I will not touch the
"authoritative raw source".

Thanks and regards
joe