I was surprised that this shift in Paradigms has such a big handicap to
be considered for future developments. And if you believe you are
"old-fashioned", how about a 70 year old guy that started in Computer
Development in 1970, and whose big boss predicted: "I think there is a
world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson, president of
IBM, 1943!) You may have some more laughs on
http://www.pcworld.com/article/155984/the_7_worst_tech_predictions_of_all_time.html).

Thus let me comment on the most controversial replies out of my sight:

I admit: Also I still read my Newspaper in hardcopy during breakfast -
but for more details I follow the advise (or QR-code) inside the daily
Newspapers or TV-news to look up details on their homepage. And surely a
professional designer must study lots of hardcopy books (and pay lots of
money for those!) - but I do not believe that nowadays any PC-USER of a
"hobby-product" (may he be high or low skilled) will go to a Public- or
University-Library for details! (Remember: We talk about a "getstart for
a hobby" - not a "Masters-Degree in...").

And I am pretty sure that not many users of FlightGear print the
"getstart.pdf" - and they will do so even less in the future! And even
if it gets printed, it is printed on standard PC-Printers! Or can I buy
that book anywhere with a superior Print-Quality? And do I get a printed
update for new versions? (Now every 6 month?)
  Did you notice that most products you buy today, do not have a real
"User-Manual" any more - but tell you an Internet-Address to look it up?
(A modern way to avoid the law to provide those manuals in the national
language!)

Anyhow: Did you ever try e.g. (with Firefox 10.0.2)
"http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Using_QGIS_and_satellite_pictures":
--> mouse-click "File" --> "Print" (or "Print Review") and compare that
to the "getstart.pdf"? Do you see a significant difference in
printing/reading quality?

I would support the need for an "authoritative raw source" - if there is
the manpower to maintain it! - over decades? It surely would be a good
reference for all upcoming versions.

I admit: Page-Referencing (and especially the old style Indexing) is a
problem for HTML -- if reading hardcopy! In the reverse it is impossible
to reference between multiple PDF-documents to unique text-positions! So
neither approach is the "Golden Egg" in a mixed environment. I tried to
compromise for that with: Smaller "books" (so headers are enough - no
real need for page-numbers).

The amount of cross-referencing may have some negative side effects,
when reading top to bottom and jumping to each and every reference - but
surely it is extremely positive having the possibility to jump to more
details (when wanted/needed) and directly return to the place you were
-- all of that with two mouse-clicks instead of wetting your fingers and
search through lots of paper-pages!).

In addition those smaller books with a lot of referencing ensure that
each subject needs to be described only in one chapter - thus changes
have to be "updated" only once - and not in several books and/or
chapters.

Especially the aspect of controlling changes promotes the use of WIKI,
because whoever is concerned can set a mark to be notified about any
changes made by anybody - and can delete or correct changes made -- see
the history options in the FGFS-wiki. So you may have lots of observers!

To the end: I was surprised not seeing any comments to the problem of
"multi-lingual" support - which was the starting point for this
controversial work of mine. I am sure nobody explicitly wants to
restrict FlightGear just to people being able to read and write English.
But I guess this point is an unsolved question for todays
"getstart.pdf". So I guess there is no problem if I just input my German
version into the FGFS-WIKI - not as an "authoritative raw source"  - but
hoping it may help some other "Tongues" for their translations.
joe