On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Jörg Emmerich wrote:
> thank you very much for the detailed response to my proposal - and I
> certainly will revisit those items again in the near future. But since
> my first proposal, there are some new developments popping up, which I
> need to evaluate first in more detail:
>
> 1) I believe there is no harm when there is a German version in the WIKI
> - that will definitely not become the "authoritative raw source" - and
> thus may develop into a pure "user-manual, written for and by users".
> Without Engineering being responsible for that (but of course they have
> the same privileges to change like any user).

I've no problem with that.

Personally, I think it would be better to have a complete equivalent
Manual in German that was exactly the same as the English version.
However, that's a huge amount of work, both for an initial translation,
and then keeping up translating any changes to the English version.

"crowd-sourcing" a translation to German would at least get the
translation done quickly.

> 2) George Patterson did a good job challenging me as "devils advocate",
> but he also mentioned references to the new developments in
> Mediawiki's extensions. In the meantime I did some (theoretical) studies
> on those and it seems that with
>  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection and
>  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PDF_Writer
> we actually can
> - create the Manual in small pieces (== unique wiki pages)
> - "Collect" any wanted wiki-pages in a "Book", still inside the wiki
> - convert that into a PDF -- including page-numbers and a
> real Index at the and!

That's interesting, and provides some level of equivalency to the
current process.  I'd need to see some PDF output before I'm
convinced though. I suspect the output will look very similar to
a printing wiki page, which IMO isn't good enough.

I look forward to seeing the result!

> So far the theories -- I will try to challenge that with the German
> Manual. I suggest to wait for the results of that test and then revisit
> the opportunities we have.
>
> I hope that is acceptable for all of us - again: I will not touch the
> "authoritative raw source".

On the contrary - I'd be delighted if you were to submit changes to
the "autoritative raw source", as you'd be improving The Manual
rather than working on a parallel document. :)

-Stuart