Hi Curt

Well actually there are quite some RL aircraft having a so-called rudder-aileron interconnect. Of course in these aircraft it acts both ways: A spring (so not hard linked 1:1) pulls the rudder at aileron deflection and vice versa. The reason is however a very different one namely a lack of "tendency to raise the lower wing" which is a FAR requirement. This "tendency" is directly related to having a low enough Cl_beta (moment around the aircraft x-axis due to sideslip). More Dihedral or more sweep angle on the wing will improve the characteristic. But these things also have a decremental effect on performance, so sometimes it is better to have a bit more complex control system.

The point being that in these aircraft the autopilot will have to deal with this spring also. But as it is a spring and no hard linkage, having strong enough autopilot servos will do the trick.

For simulation purposes I would agree that the auto-coordination should be switched of with AP engaged. There are some complications though. What if only a HDG or NAV mode (roll servo only) is engaged? Or there is no servo on the rudder at all (which is quite common)? And from the other side what if only the yaw damper or yaw trim is active (common on multi engine aircraft)? In those cases auto coordination should remain active!

So auto coordination should be switched off only when both a roll mode and yaw mode are engaged. Also it might be a good idea (for realism) to have the auto-coordination work both ways just as in RL.

Cheers

Eric