On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:51:16 -0700, syd wrote in message
<CABS5FFOT8DrHfY63Aw=keqvrb7oh31qjg0fymgxjny2efps...@mail.gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Syd,
> >
> > That was a hack from the very early days of the project, so if it
> > went away, it wouldn't bother me.  Fred might have a check box in
> > the window launcher, and there may be a command line option or
> > property value to hunt down and remove.
> >
> > Curt
> >

> Thanks , Curt.
> Actually I'd prefer the auto-coordination property to remain , and the
> options to enable it too , just that it be handled in an autopilot
> file rather than hard-coded.
> I've added a sort of auto coordination to the R22  below a certain
> airspeed,

..sort of like an RC helicopter "tail lock" (yaw control) gyro?

> otherwise I cant get it off the ground no matter how fast I tap those
> rudder keys , and enabling auto-coordination would be a easier in
> these situations, i think.

..I disagree, I believe a yaw control gyro would work better than
locking the rudder to the aileron controls, as you will have the
correct yaw trim immediately on starting climb-out, if you let
the plane lift off as it is ready to fly, even works for short
field take-offs, just kick in flaps and rotate early to take the
weight off the wheels asap as you would on a slushy dirt field.

..and I take it we wanna model RC choppers and fpv flying too,
and some of the fpv guys use 3-axis gyro etc autopilots.

..now, if yank it off... ;o)

> At least for those of us without rudder pedals.

..try a 3-axis stick, or an RC "transmitter" 2 stick box,
some real RC transmitters can also be used with the sound
card, some use usb wires.

..at the other end of the scale, try the keyboard on an
eeepc @ ~3fps... ;o) if you guys wanna cure your habits
of over-controlling... ;o)

..the c172p is easier if you give it the first flap step, full pwr,
release parking and keep it straight with rudder, @ ~40kts give it
two clicks up, then be ready to pick up the low wing with right
rudder on lift-off, takes about 4 to 7 clicks, ease off one click
on the elevator to keep the nose down, you wanna climb at 70kts.

..at 300ft you're ready to clean up the wing | bring up the flaps
and climb at 75kts or so.  At say 500ft, back off throttle to ~75%,
zero elevator, use elevator trim to set your speed, and back off 2
or 3 or 4 clicks of right rudder until you're turning the way you
wanna turn. ;o)

..to cruise straight ahead, pick the closest rudder click, then
play with elevator trim and power settings until you're straight.

..if the c172p moves around too quickly on you, try Tante Ju (ju52)
or a twin with counter rotating props, e.g. a P38, or the mc-72,
they fly straight until you start playing with assymmetric power.

> It would mean more work for aircraft designers , but a simple filter
> should easily do what the code does.
> Syd

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: