> From memory, I've set it to 0.3.  It is configurable in the
> data/Effects/buidling.eff file under parameters/material/ambient if
> you want to have a look yourself.  I'm happy to accept a change to the
> value - I haven't spent any time tuning it.

Okay, that explains it.

I think it should be in the range 0.7-1 - our ambient light is about half of
the diffuse light (0.5, 0.5, 0.5) vs (1,1,1) - if the material declares ambient
to 0.3, you get shadows which are then 0.15 times the base color - which is way
too dark as compared with how terrain or most of the models are shaded in
indirect light.

Cheers,

* Thorsten