> I agree that for this question, a standardized benchmark would be useful.

Hi,

Not exactly 'standardized' but certainly agree the
some comparative information is important, not only
which video/resolution/OS/...

These were all run as default, noon, full screen,
1440x900, c172p, motor idling, KSFO 10L, for about
5 minutes each... the last is SG/FG git about 17:00
hours UTC today...

Various versions currently available - in Ubuntu
10.04 LTS - all compiled from git source...
fg3  2008-09-01 - 46 fps
fg4  2009-03-26 - 46 fps
fg5  2009-04-18 - 47 fps - highest
fg6  2009-06-26 - 46 fps
no 2010 not archived, until...
fg14 2011-04-26 - 43 fps
fg15 2011-06-03 - 40 fps
fg16 2011-11-01 - 40 fps
fg17 2011-10-30 - 32 fps
fg18 2011-11-15 - 27 fps
fg19 2012-01-16 - 22 fps - lowest
fg20 2012-05-01 - 32 fps
fg20 2012-05-04 - 32 fps

This is of course without rembrandt, and not
specifically enabling/disabling ANYTHING, although
perhaps internal default were changed...

Of course I hope we can someday return to the fps
I got for most of 2009 ;=)) but do understand new
'features', subsystems, etc - in short improvements
in the 'real' experience - can cost fps, perhaps
never to be recovered...

HTH.

Regards,
Geoff.

PS: Can someone remind me the --prop:/sim/??? to
set from the command line to show frame rate - to
avoid the need to View -> Display Options to click
it into existence - tks. Of course I would prefer
it be enabled by default ;=))