While we are on the topic, I'd like to take a different perspective.

  There are a number of source data files (eg: national SRTM-1 data)
that is provided under Creative Commons with license terms very similar
as GPL, however it isn't GPL, but it would appear to have the same aims
as everything below. However at the end of the day it is not GPL, and so
can not be used. Creative Commons seems to be very popular for "content"
as oppose to "code" with organisations that don't do code.

  So my question then is, what path is there to incorporate CC content
in scenery that must be GPL???

  cheers
    S.