Scott wrote:

> But more seriously, I'm no license guru, and you picked one of the main
> points I'm not clear on, the original CC in this example is
> "Share-alike" and "Derived works allowed with attribution".

It really depends on the particular phrasing in license text.
One of the - various - reasons for not providing 'official' FlightGear
Scenery with OSM roads is the clause in CC-BY-SA 2.0, which says:

  "If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute
  the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this
  one."

....  whereas the GPL is widely considered as not being sufficiently
"similar", despite the fact that the *intention* isn't that much
different.

Cheers,
        Martin.