On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Jan Comans wrote:
> We did have one issue tough with our setup. Since we run three different
> instances on three different machines, we got clouds which weren't
> consistent across the screen. We fixed this with a small hack in the random
> number generator and the cloud rendering code.

Hi Jan,

I'm the author of the 3D clouds code.  Thanks very much for highlighting the
random number generator problem, and for your fix.

I haven't had the chance to look at your fix beyond viewing the diffs, but at
first glance I'm slightly surprised it works across multiple
machines/instances.
I would expect that differences in initialization time would mean that at any
given moment in time some instances would have made more calls to mt_rand
than others, resulting in different generated numbers, even if they all started
with the same seed.

Is this something you've had to resolve, or is it simply not an issue
because the
only calls that truly matter are the initial calls to determine cloud placement?

I'm currently up to my elbows in the random buildings code, but once I've
completed that job I will look at your fix in more detail and work out how best
to integrate it.

Thanks,

-Stuart