> We should have a random number generator in simgear that returns the
> same random number within the same period of time (I believe it was set
> to 1 second) to prevent short time quirks between different machines.
> This was specially added for (random) clouds.

I have looked at this, but as far as I can see FG calls the regular
time seed intialization instead of the 'time period' one. I think the
period is even 10min. But I recall having some issues with giving the
whole simulation a fixed seed (either through the srand10 method or
providing a custom seed). Next to that, the time period seed relies on
the fact that system clocks are more or less in sync. Normally NTP
should take care of that, but with our sim being tweaked constantly
this is difficult to guarantee. This for me is also a reason for
providing a separate rng to handle the part that I'm interested in.
As I said before, form me this was just a quick and dirty hack to get
the results we needed. Personally, I think it would be beneficial to
put the randomness somewhere in the property tree so that the cloud
code can build 'deterministic' clouds from these values. In this way,
other FG instances could be coupled in way similar to using
--fdm=external, and just receive the basic random seeds that would
result in the same cloud fields on every instance. But that's just my
idea without having looked at the code too much.