Hi,

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 16:43:51 James Turner wrote:
> This is moving in the right direction for sure. I'd like to go a little
> further, and make the LOD setting a simple checkbox labelled 'reduce detail
> adaptively'. Then make the LOD ranges (for trees, clouds, AI models,
> whatever) internal properties, and crucially, enable OSG's LOD-bias
> feature. This effectively scales the 'visible distance' used to select LOD
> by a factor, and we can use a PID controller to adapt it based on target
> and actual frame-rate. (Of course I didn't try it for real yet). This ought
> to nicely adjust the LOD bias, and hence the final LOD, to keep a target
> rate (say 30 or 60fps).
>
> Of course if you enable every conceivable shader effect, the PID will drive
> the LOD-bias to a large value trying to keep 60fps with almost nothing
> drawn, so this needs some testing and sensible limits, but I hope could
> give much more flyable results - stuff will just disappear rather than the
> frame-rate plummeting as you approach LFPG or EHAM (or KSFO, even)
>
> (Of course it also needs an audit of our LOD hierarchy, which is currently a
> bit cumbersome, but that's all good incremental work)
Well, that's on the way.
Please do not steer any lod ranges except may be the lod bias by any property.
That's again cross connecting code areas that do not need to be connected and
that then suffer from updates into the scene graph that are unneeded.
The osg LOD system is simple but effective if used in a sensible way.

The spt loader used in fgviewer also has lod hierarchies built in. You can
already load - may be I need to push this series to the latest version - lower
level of detail huger tiles if you put them into the right directories. That's
in preparation and has no upstream support form the scenery yet.

Greetings
Mathias