On Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:51:55 Stefan Seifert wrote:

> The solution is not to give crude tools like limiting visibility to the
> user. The solution is to fix FG to be consious about how much memory is
> available and make the best use of it. Yes, many games simply limit
> visibility if memory or performance pressure gets high. But FG is a flight
> simulator. Visibility is a very important part of flight (at least for me
> as a VFR pilot).
>
> Stefan

Guess what happens when memory is limited and visibility is set to 120km?
You see the "end of the world", because no more tiles can be loaded to reach
that distance.
Guess what you need to adjust then, independent of what the "real world" says?
Visibility distance (implicitly fog) to mask it.

Regarding trees: you think that way, I might, someone else in the know might
too, but the average user sees that they work well with his setup in the
default condition, why would he want to disable them?
The only thing that new setting advertises is it  reads the METAR string in a
more advanced way...

Manual setting of this has the added benefit that you're not moving tiles back
and forth through the tile cache/display as memory becomes more or less
available. You set a max setting that suits your machine and or the area you
fly in (in the carribean you can easyly reach that 120km, not so much at KLAX)
and you're done with it.

And why should you have to set that in _n_ places, when there was a perfectly
reasonable documented setting in the first place.

This thing with the visibility is just one part of a bigger problem here, that
someone doesn't want, or doesn't uderstand that he has to take shortcuts, use
tricks, and abdicate from a faithfull model of the real world. Instead he
shoves everything but the kitchen sink in, disregarding what effects that might
have, expects everyone else to accomodate any needs that might arise from that
and considers any bit of critique or negative comment as a personal affront.

Now if that's how things are supposed to work around here, I'm not the one to
decide, but for me it's not.

Regards,
Emilian