Am Tue, 16 Apr 2013 06:34:26 +0000
schrieb Renk Thorsten <thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi>:

> I have a question to aircraft/cockpit modellers: Would a shader
> effect with the equivalent of a grain texture be useful to you?
>
> For the terrain, the grain texture is a semi-transparent overlay
> pattern of grainy dots - which is superimposed on the normal texture
> at 25 times the nominal resolution (so while a usual pixel on the
> terrain might be 4x4 m sized, a pixel of the grain pattern is 16cm x
> 16 cm. This gives the appearance of a texture resolution which is
> much higher than it actually is:
>
> http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18628#p173410
>
> In cockpits, I often see many monochromatic surfaces. When I look at
> the panel of my card, the plastic is monochromatic but has a fake
> leather pattern imprinted. The roof of my car has a cloth structure.
> My computer has some rhombus pattern imprinted. Metal surfaces often
> have some brush stroke structure. All these things are literally
> screaming for an overlay texture, as they are artificial repeating
> patterns and there is in fact no tiling problem as in terrain shading
> - they can just be superimposed, creating sub-millimeter-sized
> resolution on cockpit details at the expense of a single texture
> lookup.
>
> Now, I would offer to code a slot for a grain texture into the
> high-quality model shader of Atmospheric Light Scattering, but since
> I am not a 3d modeller and I suspect there are some issues with the
> uv-mapping which are a bit different from the way terrain works, I
> would need someone from the model side who is interested in exploring
> this idea.
>
> Let me know if anyone is interested.

I like the idea. It is always a problem to get the Cockpit
looking right. Using a high res texture gives a lot of details, but
requires a lot of work and resources. Seamless textures save a lot of
texture memory and improves the look of the wide areas a lot, but
denies any use of e.g Ambient Occlusion. AO gives a somehow grainy
appearence which looks ok, but with large interiours (e.g Transports,
Bombers) it requires huge texture sizes to look good.

I guess using a Shader for interiour will improve the overall look (I
already use the model shader for interiour and it definitly improves
the look and feel).

Since I'm currently working on improving the Sabre Cockpit I would be
ready to try some things out.

Greetings