Thorsten

> Okay, I've pushed an experimental version of a grain overlay texture for
the
> model ubershader  to FGData. It affects Atmospheric Light Scattering only,
> i.e. will be absent in the default rendering, which should make for easy
> comparison.
>
> For lack of texture units, I had to take the rainbow coloring of
reflections out
> for the moment (again, only in the Atmosperic Light Scattering version). I
> can't visually spot a difference, and in any case a 2d texture lookup call
seems
> an overkill for a simple 1d color table, so I plan to replace that by a
function
> eventually. As far as I can see and test, this shouldn't take any
framerate
> unless used.
>
> The grain overlay is configured pretty much like any other model effect in
the
> ubershader - a model specific effect file needs to set the flags, which
are

> * grain-texture-enabled: does what you think it does, needs to be 1 to
work
> * grain-magnification : the texture magnification relative to the base
texture
> - I think values between 10 and 100 would work here
>
> The grain texture itself needs to be declared as n=14. The grain texture
> should be largely transparent and seamless - I think unlike for the
terrain
> tiling artefacts are not an issue for artificial patterns, they actually
occur.

> For a quick check, inserting the following xml code into
Aircraft/Citation-
> Bravo/Models/Effects/reflect.eff
>
> <texture n="14">
>       <image>Textures.high/Terrain/grain_texture.png</image>
>       <filter>linear-mipmap-linear</filter>
>       <wrap-s>repeat</wrap-s>
>       <wrap-t>repeat</wrap-t>
>       <internal-format>normalized</internal-format>
> </texture>
> <grain-texture-enabled>1</grain-texture-enabled>
> <grain-magnification>50</grain-magnification>
>
> gives me this effect for the hull of the Bravo which is now re-painted
using
> the terrain grain texture at high resolution
>

> http://users.jyu.fi/~trenk/pics/overlay.jpg
>
> Looks a bit like a military version...
>
> So, please play with it - it's basically down to how well the grain
overlay can
> be made.

 Removing the rainbow effect spoils the highly polished aluminium effect on
the b29 and the Lightning F1. It is also incompatible with AO effects. Will
this all work with non-nVidia cards/drivers?

The grain effect you proposed did not gain much if any support from
developers.  Do we need to go down this road? We are breaking more and more
for minimal gains. Did we ever restore the wake effect on the Carrier with
Atmospheric Light Scattering?

I think something like the grain effect can already be achieved with the
nmap tiling facility in the existing ubershader.

Vivian